Are you ready? We've got five skin care facts that may surprise you. Better? We'll also clarify a few things, such as when to begin a skin care routine, as well as whether cucumber offers benefits other than some yummy crunch in your salad.
1. Connective tissue facial massage can literally wipe away years.While there’s no denying the benefits of body massage, it may surprise you to learn that massage is equally beneficial for the face. Facial massage stimulates skin cells to release collagen and restore elasticity. Connective tissue massage is like contouring—with improved circulation and methodical compression, you see instant results. Ask to see one side of your face before the other is done. It’s amazing.
2. If you’re reading this, you’re not too young to begin a skincare routine.As painful as this fact may be, by the time we turn 20, our skin is showing signs of aging. Furthermore, whether 20 or 40, age is nothing but a number: you’re losing collagen at the same rate. Rather than waiting, until you see the startlingly obvious signs that something must be done, start now. Being proactive goes a long way when it comes to combating aging. Unsure where to begin? No worries. Whether you have dry skin and need extra hydration, or oily/acne prone skin in need of a gentle, but effective process, customizing skin care routines is kind of our specialty .
3. Cold cucumbers work.Nope, it’s not just something you see on TV. There’s a reason many exclusive day spas rely on the simplicity of cucumber slices: research has proven cold cucumbers applied to puffy eyes do sooth and reduce swelling. All natural and you know exactly what’s in it. Next time you’re at the grocery store grab an extra—you never know when it may come in handy. While an ice pack would relieve swelling, cucumber is especially effective because it contains ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and caffeic acid; both of which help soothe skin irritations and reduce swelling.
4. Remember what your mother said: Geniveve, take your vitamins!Taking daily vitamins and getting plenty of antioxidants and healthy oils like omega-3 do wonders for the skin. In a society that is so on-the-go, it’s easy to rely on quick meals or protein bars. If this is the case for you, it’s extra important to make sure you’re getting the nutrients you need. You don't have to trust us, even WebMD says so! Remember, your skin says a lot about your overall health—let it glow.
5. Second-hand smoke is as damaging to your skin as smoking.Yep! Really. We all know the statistics on smoking and the numerous health issues it can create. Nonetheless, I was rather surprised to learn that merely being surrounded by second hand smoke in a bar or pub on the regular causes pre-mature aging. It’s not enough to keep a stick or other device out of your mouth. If you do find yourself in this situation, the best thing to do when you get home is to cleanse your skin (you do that anyway, right?) and follow your personalized skin care routine. You’ll look fabulous for years to come.
Need products to keep you looking young and fresh? Check out our website for more.